Sunday, August 1, 2010

Thoughts on a Two Week Old Baby

My three boys!
Seeing as I'm two weeks postpartum these thoughts may be scattered and a bit crazy. But that's how I be these days.

-We decided to give our little guy the middle name of William. We've been having fun with nicknames. J-Dub is my favorite. Chad came up with J-Will. I'm think we should call him J-Willie and hope for a future in rap music.

-The delay in giving him a middle name caused a mix-up with the social security and vital records office. I guess they don't deal well with people who haven't had names picked out for all their children since middle school.

-I really love the place where Jared was born. It's a free standing birth center right next to the hospital. There are no OB's, only midwives and nurses. The beds are regular queen size beds, there are no epidurals, and there are no IV's. Most importantly, you can take your baby home when it is four hours old. Unless you have group B strep. Then you get to make the nurse feel like a jailer when she makes you wait until the baby reaches the 12 hour mark. The best part is now I can say two of my kids were born in a bathtub.

- The nurses are awesome. One nurse got out our camera while I was giving birth and started snapping photos. Most of those will be deleted. Within 30 minutes of J-Dub's birth, Chad and I were left alone to bond with the baby along with a bowl of strawberries and angel food cake. When I came back two days after he was born (for rhogam) they gave me a plate of snacks to eat while I nursed him. I've decided that food is the way to my heart.

- One nurse made cards for each of my kids with J-Dub's footprints on it. She has three kids of her own, so it was nice to have someone who understood siblings. I've also gotten calls every couple of days from the nurses to check up on me. It makes you feel good.- One of my regrets from this birth is that he was born on a weekday during clinic hours at the birth center. One half of the building is for prenatal visits and the other half is where the real fun happens. Labor was harder this time than the last two. J had the cord around his neck which made things go slower than I am used to. Let's just say I may have scared a few women away from the natural delivery option.

- After two weeks I am even more sleep deprived and Jared has gas. The last few days have not been fun. Luckily my parents took the older three camping so at least I can just sit and hold a baby. Now if I could just stay away from the bad food that's making him uncomfy!
-J-dub has a fair amount of hair, and it makes a pretty good mo-hawk. Kiwi had one as a baby too, but hers was caused by two cowlicks on the back of her head. Luckily I can grow her hair out long to hide them. It was fun trying to deal with it when she was a baby.-Seth is starting to warm up to the baby more and has a lot of fun "holding" him. I love that holding basically involves the baby lying on his lap.All in all, I think I'm slowly getting used to this. The kids start back to school in a week and then I'm sure everything will change again. But most of the day will be just me and my tow little boys. It'll be a lot quieter around here, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Episode Experts said...

Cute post. I wondered how messy it would be once you decided on his full name. Hope you get that worked out. I went all natural with Christopher. I think I probably helped a few women make up their minds and get an epidural! Haha!